Friday, May 12, 2006

"Litttle tiny trees growin' out my yard..."

Last fall, when the leaves fell, billions and billions of tiny black acorns fell as well from my 150+ year old water oak. The ones that fell into the yard and onto the pavement got blown by the landscapers and by nature back onto the large mulch bed beneath the tree (my efforts to protect the tree's health and make my grass go away). The mulch, laid down last year before the fall of acorns, is nicely composted by now and itching to help something grow.

So now, this late southern spring, there are hundreds, maybe thousands, of tiny two inch tall water oak trees covering the mulch bed like a midgetized green forest. I'm not sure what to do about it. One giant water oak in the front yard is quite enough. So far I have been pulling them up by the roots. The squirrels have been helping ... they enjoy dining on the tender shoots and roots. But the squirrels and I are no match. The tiny trees are threatening to take over. I hate to say it but I think there may be only one solution... RoundUp.

But what would Bill Cosby do?

4 Comments:

At 10:44 PM, Blogger oklahoma exile said...

What a beautiful story about a tiny forest of water oaks!

I don't know about Bill Cosby, but probably most of the little things won't make it anyway so, mostly, you won't need to do anything except write lovely stories about the seedlings or perhaps sad stories (which can be lovely) about their demise. The few that are left, I will come over and help you put in little pots to give away to people who want to grow a mighty oak for generations out beyond us. That is, unless the Roundup destroys the earth before the oak gets a chance to grow.

 
At 7:27 PM, Blogger ZebraDreaming said...

Thank you Exile. Thank you for reading my tiny water oak forest story.

Do you really think they won't make it? They look awfully healthy and determined. But you have inspired me to wait it out (other than pulling some here and there with the same results as pulling out gray hairs!).

I LOVE the idea of putting them in little pots for others... though most folks don't want big trees around Atlanta... so many people are having them cut down because they're afraid the trees will fall on them. It's happened a lot especially last year with the tail winds from all the hurricanes. Also, water oaks have millions of small leathery leaves that WILL NOT compost. Doesn't bother me, though, I love the tree and it's one of the things that made me want to buy this house.

I believe seriously, though, that that Big Mama Earth cannot be destroyed ... she IS stronger than we ultimately, and she is just waiting to mash us like a bunch of stupid little bugs. Let's hope we (you and I) are out of here before that happens. Meanwhile, recycle and don't waste stuff ... it's good for the soul if nothing else. It means you love something and that is all that matters. That is the meaning of it all. Goes back to gratitude... which hey maybe is the same thing as true love.

As for Bill Cosby, "Little Tiny Hairs Growin' Outta My Face" is on the same record as "It's the Lord..... Noah!"

 
At 10:09 PM, Blogger oklahoma exile said...

OMG! It's the LORD, Noah!

Anyway, I think the little ones won't get enough sun because of the big one.

You're right -- the earth cannot be destroyed. Perhaps only rearranged which is what eternal life is anyway. I mean, who would want to live eternally in this form?!

 
At 10:33 PM, Blogger Patricia said...

Just keep on pulling them up and using them for more mulch :)

The earth can't be destroyed (at least not by us at the present time), but the living things can be.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home